Medical Anthropology Quarterly’s Book Reviews Editor invites reviews of books and other media that are likely to appeal broadly to medical anthropologists and colleagues in neighboring disciplines. We do not accept unsolicited or volunteered reviews.
Scholars who are interested in serving as book reviewers should create or update an account at our web-based manuscript processing system. Please list 3–5 keywords related to your areas of expertise.
Publishers who would like to have books considered for review should direct inquiries to
Guidelines for Reviewers
Reviews of single books or films should be 750–1,250 words; reviews of multiple books or films should be 1,250–2,250 words. Please consider the following points when preparing your review:
- Evaluate the book in light of MAQ’s aims and scope.
- Avoid dry, formulaic reviews that merely summarize chapters; focus instead on the book’s purpose, key points, methods, and style.
- Address the book’s important to the field and place it in the context of relevant literature.
- Consider the book’s relevance for teaching at various levels.
- Consider both strengths and weaknesses.
- Focus on the book, not the author; avoid ad hominem attacks or unrelated praise.
- The more your review focuses on purpose, content, and style, the more informative it will be to MAQ’s readers.
For reviews that consider multiple items, comparison is encouraged. For edited volumes, you may comment on several chapters (perhaps the strongest and weakest), but be certain to address the overall integration and impact of the book. For second or later editions, please note changes from earlier editions.
Invited book reviews should be submitted through our web-based manuscript processing system. The Book Reviews Editor may request revisions for clarity, content, or style. Once accepted, your review will go to the Managing Editor for copyediting and formatting. You will have an opportunity to view the final version of the review before it is published.
Book Reviews Editor
Alex Nading, Ph.D.
University of Edinburgh
165 Power St, Providence RI 02906